Mapping with Maps

A Key to an Historical Map
Also see the guide to city and town names.

Download the map (JPG)

Download the map (JPG ) by right mouse-clicking here and choosing “save link/target as”.

Fort Elfsburg: Beginning with an expedition that departed Sweden in 1637 or 1638, the Swedes and Finns (then part of Sweden) purchased land from the Indians on both sides of the Delaware Bay and River. Upon arriving they laid the foundation of a town and fort they named Christina, for the Swedish Queen, on the west side of the river.  At the close of the year 1640 or early in 1641 a settlement was established on the east side they called Elfsburg or Elsinborg.

  1. Site of Emigrant House (Andrew Thompson 1681)
  2. Isaac Smart House 1696, currently owned by Champion Coles
  3. John Darkin House (Windham) 1720, Razed
  4. Bradway or Hall House 1682, demolished 1965 for expansion of Gaynor Glass Works
  5. Site First Fair Grounds: Salem was a port of entry in 1682, and the same year a market was by law to be held every Tuesday near the old wharf, then called the tower landing and designated the marketplace. No sales were to take place before 11 o’clock in the morning; also fairs were established by law, to be held in Salem first and second of May, the 20th and 21st of October annually. Later entrance was on Market Street (1928)
  6. The Salem Oak Tree: an ancient white oak tree and the Friends burial grounds in Salem. For age, health and location, it is the most outstanding living monument in the State. If we could examine its cross section we would find that the rain precipitation during its long life is recorded for posterity showing narrow rings for year’s light rain fall, wide rings for years of abundant rain. In 1881, the Salem Monthly Meeting of Friends purchased from Samuel Mickelson and wife Ann 16 acres of land and house built of hewn logs on Bradway Street for a meeting house and burial grounds and for other purposes. The original log house was used until 1699, when a larger brick house was built east of the oak tree and occupied until the present meetinghouse on East Broadway was finished in 1772.
  7. Doctor Francis Bilderback House, 1813 early frame dwelling originally built by Hedge Thompson
  8. Court house 1735
  9. Site of the first Post Office in Salem County
  10. Alexander Grant House 1721 (Salem County Historical Society)
  11. Robert G. Johnson House 1807 (Salem County building)
  12. John’s Episcopal Church: original building built in 1728 and occupied by the British in 1778.
  13. Site of John Fenwick’s House (Ivy Point), 1676
  14. Salem Creek Bridge: was a covered bridge from 1831-1923 which had replaced earlier bridges. It is now part of the state highway system (Rte. 45)
  15. Friends’ Meeting House 1772
  16. Richard Johnson House (Guilford Hall)
  17. John Wilkinson House (Penny Hill) 1727
  18. Site of Robert Zane House 1676
  19. Richard Smith House 1729 Salem Hancocks Bridge Rd Being restored by the Harvey family
  20. Lewis Morris House 1745 AKA William Goodwin has been extensively remodeled
  21. John Mason House 1725owned by Mr. & Mrs. Ted Demko
  22. Abel Nicholson House 1722 Owned by the Salem Old House Foundation
  23. George Abbot House 1700 For Sale, owned by Judge Thomas Bowen
  24. Massacre at Hancock House, March 1778
    25-2 Hancock House State park open to the public
  25. John Maddox Denn House 1725
  26. Thomas Shourds Home built by Joseph Ware II, 1730
  27. Site of Christopher White House 1690
  28. Loggetown Cemetery Marker for those killed at Hancock House 1778 rear of Canton Baptist Cemetery
  29. Mansion House of Col. Benjamin Holme : burned by the British March 1778 owned by Mr. & Mrs. Brian Duffy
  30. William Smith Burying Ground: Marker for those killed at Quinton’s Bridge 1778 County owned.
  31. William Tyler House 1690-1730 restored in 1947
  32. Daniel Smith’s House (Weatherby) occupied by the British 1778owned by Mr. & Mrs. Ron Driscol
  33. Skirmish at Quinton’s Bridge
  34. William and Mary Oakford House 1736 owner Pierce Acton
  35. Our Historical Record of Glass: Casper Wistar, a brass button maker came from Philadelphia in 1738 to establish the first glass plant in Salem County. Others that followed were Salem Glass Works, Gayner Glass Works
  36. John Pledger, Jr. House 1727: Pillaged by British in 1778 Corporate property
  37. Hugh Middleton House, 1735, on the Kings Highway owned by Mr. & Mrs. John Carpenter
  38. Richard Brick House 1750 110 Compromise Road
  39. Samuel Smith House 1718
  40. William Hall House 1724 Owned by Emel family
  41. Marker in memory of John Fenwick
  42. Salem County Almshouse established 1796 part demolished only Insane asylum remains
  43. Site of Mary White’s Vineyard
  44. Hill-Austin House 1746 146 Old Salem Rd
  45. Champney-Reed House 1746 Old Salem Rd
  46. Zacheus and Deborah Dunn House 1743 AKA Pissant House
  47. Glebe Farm or Parsonage See Woodstown Almanac 1812
  48. Seven Stars Tavern 1762 owned by Mr. & Mrs. Frank
  49. On the south bank of Salem Creek, near Sharptown, still stands a patch of Eastern Hemlock on the edge of what was formerly an Indian village. It is he only stand in Southern New Jersey. The farm was owned by Truitt Perry for a number of years and the house was built in 1734.
  50. Kachikanizacheen “big tract of meadow land along a river – now known as Oldman’s Creek.”
  51. Carney’s Point
  52. Deepwater
  53. Saint George’s Church, Penns Neck Originally Swedish Lutheran (original church log)
  54. Penns Neck Presbyterian Church Only cemetery remains on road to Riverview Restaurant
  55. Finns Point National Cemetery
  56. Ft Mott built in defense of the Delaware Bay & River now a State Park
  57. Obisquahasit on Freas Rd
  58. Mathias Lambson House, 1741 Lambson Tavern, Old Tollgate Rd.
  59. Jacob and Catharine Mattson Richman House 1746
  60. Pole Tavern – Pittsgrove razed
  61. David Davis House, 1731 Owned by a descendant
  62. Pittsgrove Presbyterian Church
  63. German Lutheran Church now Friesburg Lutheran
  64. Daretown Presbyterian Church
  65. Implements of the Indians found
  66. William Bradway House
  67. Baptist Church at Cohansey
  68. Greenwich Tea Party Monument
  69. Presbyterian Church at Fairfield, Cumberland County Old Stone Church
  70. Pennsville-New Castle Ferry. What is left of entrance can be seen behind the Riverview Restaurant.